Big Credits to Alalme on helping me learn how do this PQ when I was a newbie, letting me use parts of his previous guide AND for his previous guide. It was really helpful, but I believe that a new, updated guide should be made. So here it is!
Yes, I am aware of the Big Bang. I'll see if there's anything different with BPQ, and if there is, I'll update the guide accordingly. Be patient.
I still need to add some pictures, but I unable to do so due to my account being deactivated and having to wait for Nexon to change my E-Mail address. If anyone could contribute pictures for the two sections (They say *Insert Screenie here* and the one for normal damage reflect), that would be greatly appreciated!
This is my first guide, so I hope it's as good as the other ones out there!
The Balrog is a boss that has been out since Version 77. He has thwarted players from KMS and JMS before we have ever got it. This Balrog is nothing like the Junior or the Crimson Balrog. It is THE Balrog. Not much is known about him, but he has had some experiences with some Maple heroes such as Manji, Tristan (A legendary Maple hero) , and the previous Dark Lord. Seeking help, Tristan found the Dark Lord. Together, they went to take on the fierce Balrog. Having turned the Dark Lord into a monster, Tristan was killed by the Balrog. Manji was defeated as well, but he managed to seal the Balrog away. After many years of being sealed, Balrog is breaking free of his seal, and it's up to the world of Maplestory to seal him again! However, if you think this is a walk in the park, then you are sadly mistaken.
The basic goal inside BPQ is to prevent Balrog from reviving. You can accomplish this by reducing Balrog's HP to 0, like every other boss. However, unlike any boss you have seen, there are some unique things you should know.
There may be some words/acronyms you see in the PQ that you may not understand. Here, I will try to cover most of them.
Looter - Someone who steals all the drops from the bonus stage. These people are usually not trusted and/or liked.
DR - Damage Reflect.
Timer - Someone who able to Predict Balrog's damage reflection.
Medal - A medal rewarded after starting a quest and then finishing 200 successful Balrog runs.
BPQ - Balrog Party Quest/Balrog Expedition Quest.
Zombify - An anti-buff that causes your HP potions' effectiveness reduced by 50%. That Unagi will now heal 500 HP instead of the 1,000 HP it usually does. Clerics/Priests/Bishops can actually kill you by healing.
Split Loot - This is what most parties do during the bonus stage. Everyone gets to choose what they get (if it drops). All uncalled things are usually picked up by whoever gets them.
FFA - Free For All. This means that in the bonus stage, whoever gets an item keeps it. There is no fair splitting or anything. It's just whoever gets the items first.
Uncalled Weapons - Usually referring to the weapons that are not called during Split Loot. Some people call this during Split Loot.
Card - The Balrog Card.
Bain Weapons - A series of "Epic" weapons dropped on the normal BPQ. These weapons are very, VERY rare, but incredibly good.
If anyone knows of a word I left out, please PM me so I can add it!
This is a very easy process. This is just here to let people know how to get here.
When you are ready to join a Balrog run, you need to head to a map called �The Bottom of the Temple�.This map can be reached in two ways, you can either:
When you are ready to join a Balrog run, you need to head to a map called �The Bottom of the Temple�.This map can be reached in two ways, you can either:
- Talk to Manji in Perion, he will teleport you to the room for 10,000 mesos.
- Walk down the ant tunnel in Sleepywood. In �The Cave That Lost Light 2�, head to the bottom right of the map, and locate the hidden portal. Go through the portal, and jump down to the bottom portal on the next map. Proceed down the staircase, and enter the map.
Yes! Even if you are doing easy or normal BPQ (Which I will explain later), every part of this PQ is definitely worth it! How much EXP, you ask? This varies on what difficulty you do. If you are doing easy, then you will get 260,000 EXP! That is a humongous amount for levels 50-70. How much does normal give. Take a guess. 400,000? 500,000? No. 520,000 EXP from one run! Just a side note. Easy takes about 15-20 minutes to complete, while normal takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Even with that note, I strongly recommend that you do Easy mode until Level 71, and then continue until you hit level 80.
There are several attacks that Balrog is able to inflict on you.
- Lightning Strike. This attack hits only the bottom level of the tomb, striking for around 2.5k damage on normal and 800 damage on easy.
- Bone Crusher. This attack also hits only the bottom level. A glowing rib-cage looking thing will fall from the ceiling. This will reduce your HP and MP to 1. Same effect on easy and normal.
- Dispel. This attack hits anywhere inside the Balrog�s Tomb. This attack is used by the head and the left arm. If being used by the head, Balrog's necklace will flash purple. If being used by the left arm, Balrog will cast a purple circle. No matter which body part is using the attack, a purple jaw will appear around you and promptly snap down. This attack deals around 250-600 damage, easy and normal.
- Rock Drop. Another attack striking everywhere inside the tomb. A rock will drop on your head. 300-600 damage, easy and normal.
- Inferno. The Balrog�s horns will turn red, and fire will engulf his jaw. Up to 6 people anywhere in the tomb will be hit with a fire-based attack for about 300-600 damage, easy and normal.
- Iceberg. This attack is used by Balrog's right hand. He shows a blue circle and strikes you with a mini-iceberg. This can hit 800 on easy and 2.6k on normal.
You must be level 50 or above to do a BPQ run.
Easy mode can be done on any channel BUT channels 6 and 7. You must be 50-70 in order to participate in a Balrog run.
Normal mode can be done ONLY on channels 6 and 7. Anyone above level 50 can participate.
- Most people will be talking to their buddies during the PQ.
- Something VERY important is organization. A random, unorganized party will get you nowhere.
- Trust is key. If no one trusts you, it is very unlikely that you will be able to join a run.
- If you are level 50-70, most people will tell you to do easy. I recommend you try to do Normal when you are level 60+.
Like I have stated above, easy mode is for levels 50-70 ONLY.
Easy mode has a minimum of 3 people and a maximum of 6. The whole thing lasts for 20 minutes, but most parties finish in 15. Easy mode is split into three phases.
- Start the expedition
- Stay outside
- Go in at 0:30
In case you did not understand that, most parties, after starting the expedition, stay outside until the timer on the top of the map (The Bottom of the Temple BTW) reaches 0:30. Why? Most parties do this in order to save their potions. No one wants to waste potions, right? Some parties might go in earlier. Sometimes a bit too early. Try to avoid parties that do not know what to do at all.
The only parts you are able to hit are the head and the hand to the right. Make sure that the close ranged classes (Bralwers, Warriors, Bandits, etc.) are attacking the hands and the long ranged classes (Sins, mages, Archers, etc.) attacking the head. If this differs, this could mean one of three things;
- The party is likely due to fail due to poor organization.
- Some people, like Arans, like attacking the head instead of the arms, which is NOT recommended until the third phase.
- A close ranged person cannot survive on the floor, which is very rare.
A Visual Example: *insert screenie here*
During this time, you are now dealing damage to the Barlog. However, unlike the first phase, tombstones with the word 'hit' on them will pop up, either on the top left, the middle or the top-right. The Balrog's head will also turn purple. All attacks to the head will miss. It is ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT to hit the tombstone ASAP. If you don't the Balrog WILL regenerate almost ALL of his health, resulting in a fail party. Make sure to hit these when they pop up.
Another Visual Example: *Insert Screenie Here*
Balrog's right hand (Or the hand to the left) will also be freed from its chains and be left open to attack. Brawlers/Marauders will find this hand more convenient to hit since the hand to the right forces them to jump in order to hit it.
Damage reflect starts when Balrog's Horns flash red and he shows a circle with an axe in the middle. I explain how to time damage reflect in the section below Normal Mode. You should check it out!
When the HP bar reaches the little clock, that is when Balrog is going to cast zombify. Don't worry if your time seems off by more than 20 seconds; it's just zombify.
Go and tell the Balrog "Good game sir!"
Congrats! You have reached the bonus stage! Just hit that thing in the middle, split the drops evenly, and celebrate your well-earned 260,000 EXP and one FREE Balrog leather! [url=http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7238/bonusv.png]The Bonus Stage[/url]
Confirmed drops for easy mode:
In more detail:
[url=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6126/maple0075i.jpg]Balrog�s Pheonix Wand[/url]
[url=http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4849/maple0070.jpg]Dragon�s Tail of Balrog[/url]
[url=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2420/maple0069.jpg]Balrog�s Angelic Betrayal[/url]
[url=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3181/maple0079t.jpg]Balrog�s Blue Marine[/url]
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7616/maple0092v.jpg]Balrog�s Omega Spear[/url]
[url=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8465/maple0088t.jpg]Balrog�s Colonian Axe[/url]
[url=http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8561/maple0086.jpg]Balrog�s Blue Screamer[/url]
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/346/maple0085m.jpg]Heaven�s Gate of Balrog[/url]
[url=http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5307/maple0083.jpg]Devil�s Sunrise of Balrog[/url]
[url=http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5371/maple0108.jpg]Balrog�s Marine Raven[/url]
[url=http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8769/maple0107.jpg]Balrog�s Fire Raven[/url]
[url=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/800/maple0106l.jpg]Balrog�s Golden Raven[/url]
[url=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3828/maple0105m.jpg]Balrog�s Dark Raven[/url]
[url=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9707/maple0104hy.jpg]Balrog�s Casa Crow[/url]
[url=http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2210/maple0102.jpg]Balrog�s Marine Arund[/url]
[url=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5048/maple0101n.jpg]Balrog�s Fire Arund[/url]
[url=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/708/maple0100z.jpg]Balrog�s Golden Arund[/url]
[url=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2613/maple0099.jpg]Balrog�s Dark Arund[/url]
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/382/maple0115.jpg]Balrog�s Steel Renault[/url]
[url=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8171/maple0114.jpg]Balrog�s White Evil[/url]
[url=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8506/maple0112.jpg]Balrog�s Black Mamba[/url]
[url=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9075/maple0121d.jpg]Balrog�s Leather Shoes[/url]
[url=http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1560/maple0120.jpg]Balrog�s Fur Shoes[/url]
[url=http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8657/twilightb.png]Balrog's Twilight Scroll 5%[/url]
Normal mode is not that different from easy, but a LOT harder. For the most part, the procedures are the same. However, there are some major differences. Some are that instead of a max of six people, you have a maximum of 15 people at a time. This mode lasts for 30 minutes, unlike the 20 minutes on easy. So what makes this so hard? Keep reading and find out. Since Easy and Normal are so alike, I will only point out the differences in this section.
This Phase lasts from 30:00 - 19:59. Note, Balrog's attack and HP are buffed up drastically. Another thing: anyone over level 71 will get their damage reduced by a ton. Everyone who is a ranged attacker (Bowmen, Sins, Slingers, etc.) should NOT touch the head. It hits a DEADLY 1,800 Damage, which would probably kill anyone who is ranged and level 70- instantly. Everything else is the same.
This phase lasts from 19 59 till about 50% of Balrog's HP. His head and hands have more defense, so you will deal less damage here. Again, this phase is pretty much the same as easy.
This is where most parties fail. Unlike easy, damage reflect is casted MUCH sooner. In fact, damage reflect is casted when the HP is somewhere between the minutes and seconds. Have your ranged people stop attacking and your unranged (Warriors, Brawlers, Dits, etc.) attack when the Balrog himself attacks. This is the safest way to attack. Damage reflect has a different timing, too. Everything else is the same, too.
This is about the point damage reflect starts.
Now, go claim your Bain weapons!
[url=http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2158/maple0097.jpg]Bain Long Bow[/url]
[url=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2530/maple0093w.jpg]Bain Pole Arm[/url]
Clean Slate Scroll 3%
Leading Balrog runs is not for everyone. Leaders must be patient, patient, patient, and patient. People WILL be late for runs, people WILL screw up on runs, people WILL ask stupid questions, and there�s nothing you can do. Leading a Balrog run comes down to three parts.
- Assembling. If you�ve pre-organized and scheduled a run with people, be sure to show up well in advance of the run time, and party people as they arrive. If not, sit in channel 1 recruiting people. As you recruit people, send them to an �organizational channel� . This allows you to get away from the spam while you are briefing your crew. Assemble the runners into 3 parties of 5 people, (or as even a split as you can get with however many people you have) and proceed to step 2.
- Briefing. Give your runners a quick rundown of how the run is going to work. Appoint �Tombstone� players (People who stay at the tombstones during the second phase and who get the tombstones during the third phase) and Damage Reflection timers, and make sure everyone knows who they are. Make sure to mention how you want to work the drops (free-for-all, split, etc) and whether you want them to attack the hands or head for the first ten minutes. If they are a totally new, refer them to this guide. You, as the expedition leader, should start the expedition and tell your team when to go in.
- Timing. During the third phase, Balrog will start to damage reflect. You will need your timers to be on-guard and ready to time. If you cannot do this, chances are that your party will fail. It would be best if you, as a leader, can time. Why? Sometimes, your timers WILL screw up and not time, so it would be best if you can time yourself. I will explain this in detail in the next section.
Most people think of timing as "too hard." It's the exact opposite. There are two timing methods for Easy and Normal.
QUICK NOTE: You will need to stop BEFORE the time given. If you stop At or after the time, chances are that your party will hit Balrog during damage reflect, and die out. I stop 3 - 5 seconds before the given time. Also, please note that server lag also plays a crucial part in your timing. This may cause your time to be too early or too late. Sometimes, a person's clock is different than someone else's, so be aware of that. (Thanks Poison Control for reminding me to include the info.)
- Safe Method - This method is not only safer, but allows time to have all your Expedition members to stop about 5 seconds early. How do you do this? Simple. Let's say that Balrog has casted damage reflect at 8 53 and finished the animation at 8 50. Instead of using the casting time, use the time when the animation finishes, which is 8 50. Get that time, subtract it by 1 minute, and you got your safe timing. In this example, that would be 8 50 - 1 00, which is 7 50. I prefer this method when I am on Normal Mode.
- More Damage Method - This method can be a bit dangerous, but is safe for the most part. This allows your party members to stop one second before the damage reflect is about to happen. Let's use the example from above. Using the time the animation finishes, 8 50, subtract 1 minute 3 seconds. That would be 8 50 - 1 03, which is 7 47. I prefer this timing method on easy. On normal, however, this can pose danger and may kill your party if you are not careful.
The Suspicious Man also gives scrolls for leathers. These are all the scrolls you can get.
� Balrog's STR Scroll 30%: Improves STR on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, STR +2
� Balrog's INT Scroll 30%: Improves INT on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, INT +2
� Balrog's DEX Scroll 30%: Improves DEX on Balrog Leather Shoes. Sucess rate: 30%, DEX +2
� Balrog's LUK Scroll 30%: Improves LUK on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, LUK +2
� Balrog's HP Scroll 30%: Improves HP on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, MaxHP +30
� Balrog's MP Scroll 30%: Improves MP on Balrog Leather Shoess. Success rate: 30%. MaxMP +30
� Balrog's Speed Scroll 30%: Improves Speed on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, Speed +3
� Balrog's Jump Scroll 30%: Improves Jump on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, Jump +3
� Balrog's Accuracy Scroll 30%: Improves Accuracy on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, Accuracy +5
� Balrog's Avoidability Scroll 30%: Improves Avoidability on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, Avoidability +5
� Balrog's Defense Scroll 30%: Improves Defense on Balrog Leather Shoes. Success rate: 30%, Weapons Defense +10, Magic Defense +10
� Balrog's Twilight Scroll 5%: Improves the function of Balrog Leather Shoes: STR +4, INT +4, DEX +4, LUK +4, Speed +4, Jump +4, Avoidability +4, Accuracy +4, Weapons Defense +14, Magic Defense +14, MaxHP +40, MaxMP +40.
In conclusion, I hope you have learned how to PQ through this guide. Again, I would like to give many thanks to Alalme, Alalme, and Alalme for not only writing his guide on how to do this, he provided most of the info and helped me fix this up. Thanks Alalme!
If you have any questions, suggestions, or spot an error, Please PM me!
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Bye~!
June 28, 2010 - MAJOR Update due to the Version 86 patch. Thanks everyone who contributed! (Forgot to finish a section AND add some pictures! >.<)
May 22, 2010 - Guide Published! Yay.
Happywilly15 for helping me clear something up.
Thanks KazeKishi for correcting a part in my guide.
Thanks BlazeLeo for giving me some additional info.
Thanks MSforlife for spotting a really stupid error I made.
Thanks Alalme for A TON of things.