BasilMarket

Sad Mask
Would you be so kind as to disable your ad-blocker on BasilMarket please? Your support is greatly appreciated.

Nexon's Annual Revenue From MapleStory

General MapleStory Forum Talk about MapleStory in general

Saw some estimations about how much money Nexon makes annually off of MapleStory and I thought I'd help by being more precise.

The way in which Nexon makes money is through the Cash Shop. For those of you, who aren't in-the-know about game development, Nexon uses a Virtual Assets sales model (and they helped pioneer the VASM, btw). This means that generate money from their games not by charging for their use, but rather by charging for customizations and other "virtual" assets (like 2x cards, store permits, etc...). In the near future, most pay-to-play games will likely switch to this sales model because its been shown to be more profitable.

In 2006, Nexon made a reported $200 million in revenue from MapleStory; that averages out to be $3.8 million per week of game play.

In 2008, Nexon made a reported $500 million in revenue from MapleStory; that average out to be $9.6 million per week of game play, and indicates a 250% increase in profits from 2006.

Now, its 2009, and the population of MapleStory's individual players has grown steadily, so they have most likely surpassed their 2008 profits. So, in case anyone is ever wondering "Just how much money does Nexon make off MapleStory in a week?" The answer: about $10 million.
Posted: November 2009 Permalink

Replies

Page TopHome 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
iCrisis Level 25 Broa Jett 1
All licensed version of the MapleStory MMO game only.[/quote]

There are publish several versions of MapleStory, but there are a few localized versions such as Maplestory SEA and Maplestory Brazil that are published by different companies. The game is still developed by Wizet (Which is owned by Nexon Korea though).
Nov 24 2009
There are publish several versions of MapleStory, but there are a few localized versions such as Maplestory SEA and Maplestory Brazil that are published by different companies. The game is still developed by Wizet (Which is owned by Nexon Korea though).[/quote]

Wizet is a development house owned by Nexon, so they are a subsidiary. Nexon is the game publisher and licenser, Wizet is just the development house. Nexon's profits and Wizets are one in the same. The regional version of MapleStory are only licensed in those regions, but all profits from them are counted as revenue for the game itself.

Maybe I should make a thread on how game development, publishing, and licensing work
Nov 24 2009
iCrisis Level 25 Broa Jett 1
Wizet is a development house owned by Nexon, so they are a subsidiary. Nexon is the game publisher and licenser, Wizet is just the development house. Nexon's profits and Wizets are one in the same. The regional version of MapleStory are only licensed in those regions, but all profits from them are counted as revenue for the game itself.

Maybe I should make a thread on how game development, publishing, and licensing work [/quote]

You may wish to highlight that in your thread, thanks for clearing that up.
Nov 24 2009
ya, nexon sure made a good investment takin in wizet..;p
Nov 24 2009
200million, that seems a bit extreme, for a free online video game

but then again, what do i know about business?[/quote]

If you think 200 million is extreme, you shouldn't have skipped reading the rest. >_> They make more than 500 mil now, as is said near the bottom of the post.
Nov 24 2009
Why did I just think of orgasm?
Lol.
Nov 24 2009
So much money .... and still they can't even release a patch without an emergencial server maintenance within the next week due to some screwed up stuff in the patch..... the 'invisible' alphabet agents NPC in some towns.... tokens in leafre.... quests available when the NPC isn't in game.... permanent pets not getting the speed boost when you use pet AP reset.... just to name a few things =p

@thread starter
So smexy ! *drools*
Nov 24 2009
surely this proves how they will NOT ban leech as most of the people who buy leech buy the 2x exp cards....
Nov 24 2009
Hi RJ And I agree with 4real this is good proof that leech wont change they simply make to much money from us
Nov 25 2009
Page TopHome 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Become a member

Signup or login to join the conversation.