MapleStory guides, forums, screens, videos, auctions and new friends await! Signup or login
Replies

Origin of the words freshman, sophomore, junior and senior?

MapleStory Forums : Chat : Talk about topics not related to MS

Apr 18 11
Scania Battle Mage 4
vExpert
So, i got this for homework and i can't see to find them anywhere anyone knows where do this words came for? and why do they use it to refer it as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade student?
Share this page Twitter Facebook
New thread Replies
Apr 18 11
Khaini I/L Mage
Amidextrus
I dont understand what your asking.
Apr 18 11
Chaos Chief Bandit
Phyzzyx
Freshman. People they're fresh.
Sophomore -> Sophomoric -> young and foolish
Junior -> precedes Senior
Senior -> oldest

that's what i'm assuming
Apr 18 11
Mardia Beast Tamer Cat
Freshman.. well Freshman implies fresh meat. Fresh meat is referred to as new.

Sophmores.. Sophomoric means juvenile and pretty much shows how Sophmores think they're cool when they can try to beat down Freshmen, but really, they're still underclassmen.

Juniors.. Well they're usually under seniors right?

Seniors.. Top of the school. So why not be a senior?
Apr 18 11
Khaini Mechanic 3
FluffyRobotX
All i know is freshman means that their the new students and senior are the oldest students (self explanitory)
Apr 18 11
Broa Blade Acolyte
PopThatZit
Since you already have your answers, I'll be the first to ask WHY you need to know this?
MapleStory Screen: Popthatzit revisited Maple Story: This is actually pretty cool! inb4 posting limits ...
Apr 18 11
Scania Battle Mage 4
vExpert
MoldyPeanut: Freshman.. well Freshman implies fresh meat. Fresh meat is referred to as new.

Sophmores.. Sophomoric means juvenile and pretty much shows how Sophmores think they're cool when they can try to beat down Freshmen, but really, they're still underclassmen.

Juniors.. Well they're usually under seniors right?

Seniors.. Top of the school. So why not be a senior?

i'm that desesperate to finish this thing that imma just copy paste that haha.
Apr 18 11
Windia F/P Arch Mage
FabulaDeus
Freshman - 9th
Sophomore - 10th
Junior - 11th
Senior - 12th

Freshman can be seen as "fresh to high school." High school is often the place of increasing maturity and global acceptance. From middle school you have numerous cliques and groups, with thousands of "rules and regulations" you must follow in order to be accepted. In high school, you can remain your own person and become accepted by at least several others. As such, these 9th graders just came from the depths of middle school, so they're fresh into the system of acceptance.

Sophomores already have a year of experience in high school and they know how well they can fit in. However, they take advantage of being able to easily fit in, or they attempt to redeem themselves easily. Sophomoric is a term that means immature... we can see sophomores as well-accustomed but still not completely matured yet.

Juniors are usually signified as those who learn under others. They realize what's right and what's wrong and act upon it. They begin learning from people instead of simply copying them, and they begin to phase out of the immature stage.

Seniors have accomplished acceptance and maturity. They are ready to graduate into the real world.

These are just my own random definitions. Not everyone is mature as a senior, and not everyone is accepted. Not everyone is immature as a sophomore or freshman, and not everyone is rejected.
MapleStory Screen: Luminous the final hero MapleStory Video: Phantom Thief Art Process
Apr 18 11
Khaini F/P Wizard
theredpianet
Apr 18 11
Mardia Beast Tamer Cat
iadrian2105: Yeah don't.
These are all just vague answers.

Register / login

You must be a member to reply or post. signup or login