MapleStory guides, forums, screens, videos, auctions and new friends await! Signup or login
May 08 11
Arcania I/L Arch Mage
IcyNocturne
So this apparently always happens when I redownload MapleStory... but I've gotten a keylogger on my computer somehow. I don't mind losing money or anything since I don't really have any valuable items, nor am I rich. But I'd just like to now if it's possible to get a keylogger/trojan without downloading any shady programs or programs in general. I was just checking out the Nexon forums for more news on whether or not there will be a rollback and my internet explorer (Firefox) shut down and my computer said there was a keylogger in Firefox. Is it possible for this to happen without downloading anything or is my computer crazy?

Help me out here. Thanks.
New thread Replies
May 08 11*
Windia F/P Arch Mage
FantomeFlame
No, you don't get "keyloggers" from downloading MapleStory.

What most likely happened is your computer got infected by a "fake anti-virus" trojan from the ADS on web sites. Some of the flash ads are infected with these trojans that pop up and try to scare you into buying their crap software. If you click on any of the "SCAN NOW OR YOUR COMPUTER WILL EXPLODE!" buttons, it will download a virus into your computer that will really mess it up.

If you really want to protect against this happening, go to the "Tools" menu in Firefox and click on "AddOns". Then click the "Get Addons" tab, and then click the "Browse All Addons" link on the right. On the Addons page type "AdBlock Plus" in the search bar and hit search. The first item that comes up in the search is "AdBlock Plus", an Ad blocker for Firefox that will protect your computer against these trojan infected ads you've been running into.

Click the "Add to Firefox" button to download AdBlock Plus and install it in Firefox. (There's a link to a short video that explains how it works in the description too if you're interested).

When you restart Firefox, there will be a small red "stop sign" icon with ABP on it, on the top right of your Firefox window. RIGHT-click the icon and select "Preferences", then click the "Filters" menu and select "Add filter subscription". From the list, choose a "subscription" that's proper for your geographic location. (The "subscriptions" are lists of the known ad servers in your locality that are kept up to date so AdBlock Plus will know what to block. It's done by geographic location so it'll be faster.) For example, I use the "Easylist (USA)" subscription for mine.

When you're done, you won't see ads on web pages any more, the trojans will be blocked and as a bonus pages will load a LOT faster.

In addition to this, you should regularly scan your computer with "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" spyware scanner to be sure nothing actually HAS infected your computer. Google the name for the download link, and before you scan with it be sure to remember to click the "Update" tab and tell it to update itself so it will be able to find all the new trojans that have been released, then when it's done updating click the "Scan" tab and tell it to do a full scan of your hard drive.

Do this on a regular basis to make sure the computer stays clean.
May 08 11
Arcania I/L Arch Mage
IcyNocturne
This makes me feel slightly better, thanks.

Would the error that pops up on my computer from the xp antivirus be a false Trojan too, or something else?
May 08 11
Windia F/P Arch Mage
FantomeFlame
Powerbomb: This makes me feel slightly better, thanks.

Would the error that pops up on my computer from the xp antivirus be a false Trojan too, or something else?
It most likely is- what is the exact NAME on the popup..?
May 08 11
Arcania I/L Arch Mage
IcyNocturne
Let's see. System integrity threat from XP total security. Threat is "email-worm.win32.eyeveg.f". XP total security keeps popping up and asking me to run a system scan.

Sorry for being a bit late on this.
May 09 11
Windia Cleric
Cawickeng3
ah that one... think it is.
May 09 11
Arcania I/L Arch Mage
IcyNocturne
XP total security keeps dumping random "threats" on me. Plus, I can't access any website through firefox. I'm typing this through my iPhone.
May 09 11
Windia F/P Arch Mage
FantomeFlame
OK.. this page has detailed instructions showing exactly how to remove this trojan. It goes by several different names, but this is the one you apparently have.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Skip down on the page past all the general info about the trojan to the section that starts "Automated Removal Instructions for XP Anti-Virus 2011...."

Follow the instructions very carefully, step by step. There are some things you'll have to download to fix it, so you'll need to find another computer you can use to download them to a USB flash drive and copy them to your computer. (One of the things the trojan does is to block Internet access trying to keep you from killing it.)

When your computer is finally clean, be sure to get AdBlock Plus to make sure this doesn't keep happening.
May 09 11
Arcania I/L Arch Mage
IcyNocturne
Thanks very much Bobr, I was able to fix my computer and remove the virus. I owe ya one (although I can't really repay you).
May 09 11
Windia F/P Arch Mage
FantomeFlame
Cool..! It's "reward" enough just knowing you were able to get it working again... good job!
Maple Story: Testing to see if Stories can be viewed from the B...
Register / login
You must be a member to reply or post. signup or login