• Auction
MapleStory guides, forums, screens, videos, auctions and new friends await! Signup or login
Comments

The Anime and Manga Resource Package

MapleStory Forums : Anime & Manga : Talk about Anime

Nov 23 11
Broa Bishop
HealForToast
It took a while to update this wall of text, but it's finally in thread form with extra sections. Yay, no more having to copy-paste a huge wall of text into some random thread!

*Please put changes/more important suggestions in PM form so I can get to it faster!

Bottom of the thread.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1) Table of Contents
2) Introduction, Foreword
3) Anime Recommendations
4) Manga Recommendations
5) Watching Anime
6) Downloading Anime
7) Reading Manga
8) Images
9) Light Novels, Visual Novels, Original Sound Tracks
10) Getting Past the Sad Panda
11) Buyfriend 101
12) Resources; More External Links
13) FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
14) Afterword, Credits

Introduction, Foreword

LAST UPDATE | 30/11/2011 | 20:10 BT | Added more recommendations, links from comments (pages 1-6), Buyfriend 101 finished.

Anime & Manga Resource Package: Second Edition, Version 2.31 (23rd edit).

Anonymous: Because anime is serious business.
If you are asking an anime-related question on Basil, all your questions will be answered in this thread. Do not t|;dr on this; it would take months to gather this information without help. The version number is a reference to an anime, not a copy-pasta. No more spam about it, please.

Feel free to contriboot' to this guide. Help out the new-friends so they don't end up going full-retard and talk about anime [like they know everything] even though they've watched 10 crappy series.
WARNING: This guide is a compilation of expert advice. Please avoid starting a useless flame war or argument because your tastes don't match, etc.
If your question[s] is not answered in this post, consider leaving a comment below so either I or another Basiler can answer it.

ANIME RECOMMENDATIONS

Refer to this link for more recommendations.
Tip 1: Use the ANN search function to find anime related to the ones you like. USE THIS: IT IS EXTREMELY HELPFUL FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE WATCHED LESS THAN 50 SERIES.
Tip 2: Ignore anyone who recommends junk like Bleach or Naruto. If I need to explain why, you really need to read this guide thoroughly.
Tip 3: Before I move on, let me note that 'anime' is pronounced "AW-KNEE-MAY," not "AA-NEH-MAY."

Note: Some titles were left out because there were too many series in this section that were "too mainstream: a show everyone has watched." Also, many of these series have multiple genres. If a title belongs more in ____ rather than _____, please make note in this thread/PM me so I can change it.

Action
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Full Metal Panic!
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Black Lagoon
Baccano
Claymore
Hellsing
Gungrave
Fullmetal Alchemist
Busou Renkin
Ga-Rei Zero
Tiger & Bunny
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Summer Wars

Drama
The Girl who Leapt Through Time
Clannad
Gunslinger Girl
Eden of the East
12 Kingdoms
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Tokyo Godfathers
Bartender
Haibane Renemi
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
5 Centimeters per Second
Grave of the Fireflies
Voices of a Distant Star

Mecha
Gundam 00
Gundam Seed
Code Geass
Eureka Seven
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gurren-Lagann
Super-Dimension Fortress Macross
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta
MS Team
GaoGaiGar

Science Fiction
Planetes
Crest and Banner of the Stars
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Ghost in the Shell
Last Exile
Pale Cocoon
Steins;Gate

Slice of Life
Aria
Kamichu
Hidamari Sketch
Kannagi

Romance
Honey and Clover
Clannad
Kanon
ef: a tale of memories/melodies
Spice and Wolf
Shakugan no Shana
True Tears
The World God Only Knows
Toradora!
Kimi ni Todoke

Comedy/Slapstick
FLCL
Azumangah Daioh
Nichijou
Haruhi Suzumiya
Welcome to the NHK!
Hayate no Gotoku
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Gintama
School Rumble
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
Shinryaku! Ika Musume!
Cromartie High School

Mystery
Higurashi
Big O
Dennou Coil
Darker than Black
Mushishi
Mononoke
Detective Conan
Bakemonogatari
Umineko
Serial Experiments Lain
Red Garden

Sports
Hajime no Ippo
Kaleido Star
Kaiji
Akagi
Redline

Fantasy/Adventure
Card Captor Sakura
Mahou Shoujo Nanoha
Scrapped Princess
Tower of Druaga
Slayers
Rosen Maiden
Kaze no Stigma
Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Welcome to the Space Show
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Angel's Egg
Kino's Journey

Thriller/Drama
Death Note
Kaiji
Monster
School Days
Ergo Proxy
Elfen Lied

MANGA RECOMMENDATIONS

Refer to ANN for more manga recommendations or /a/'s Anime and Manga Wiki
Please note that many of these manga (pronounced MAWN-GAH, and yes 'manga' is plural already) fit into many different genres.
As with the other sections, contributions are appreciated!

Action
GTO
Fullmetal Alchemist
Lone Wolf and Cub
Claymore
Hunter X Hunter
Mirai Nikki

Drama
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Bokurano
Gantz
Aria
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Science Fiction
Planetes
Battle-Angel Alita
Pluto

Slice of Life
Yotsuba&!
Azumanga Daioh
Wandering Son
Love Hina
Ichiroh!
Usagi Drop

Romance
The World God Only Knows
Kimi ni Todoke
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Honey and Clover
Welcome to the NHK!
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Comedy/Slapstick
Hayate No Gotoku
Cross Game
Sora no Otoshimono
Cromartie High School

Mystery
Mushishi
Stigma

Sports
Eyeshield 21
Hajime no Ippo
Akagi
Kaiji
Tomorrow's Joe

Fantasy/Adventure
Berserk
Vinland Saga
Akira
Vagabond
Cardcaptor Sakura
So-Ra-No-Wo-To

Thriller/Drama
Monster
Uzamaki
The Enigma of the Amigara Fault
20th Century Boys
21st Century Boys
Death Note
Sanctuary

WATCHING ANIME

*STREAMING ANIME IS FOR LOSERS. IF YOU STREAM IT, YOU ARE A LOSER. I CANNOT STRESS HOW MUCH STREAMING SUCKS, SO I HAD TO USE ALL-CAPS AND A HEADER*

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'GOOD' ANIME STREAMING SITE: ANYONE WHO RECOMMENDS A STREAMING SITE IS INCORRECT AND SHOULD STOP SPREADING CANCER.
Crunchyroll, Anime Season, Gogoanime, Animecrazy, anime44, animefreak, etc: all those are streaming sites. STOP IT. Please. I don't think you realize how foolish of a mistake you're making.

Why people watch streams: they're just stupid, they don't know that downloading anime=better, he/she is too poor to afford even a decent hard drive to store things with (but seriously, a gigabyte of storage costs literally 20 cents nowadays), or some other lame excuse.

QUESTION: "Why are streams bad, yumtoast?"
ANSWER: Ads, loading/buffering, the audio and visual quality is normally terrible, and the list goes on and on. Here, let me give you an example:
TV rip I downloaded of Spice and Wolf II, episode 10. Tried to find the torrent file again online; took about 10 seconds. Look at Horo. Look at those lines! Beautiful!
TV rip stream of Spice and Wolf II, episode 10 I found on watchanimeon [, a streaming site]; also took about 10 seconds. Look at Horo now. How atrocious! Disgusting!

Upgraded .gif comparison by malapo.
A much better Redline .gif comparison also by malapo.

Davyn: 720p is the best possible download choice, however to use judgement. If a series that was released pre-2000 has a 720p download available, it's most likely an upscale from 480p. Same goes for 1080p. If your monitor can't play it or if it was released pre-2008 really, then it's an upscale. Even newer movie and Blu-Ray releases are simply upscales and wasted bandwidth/storage space.*

Also, HorribleSubs/CrunchySubs are direct rips from CrunchyRoll, as I'm sure there'd be some confusion in the fansub group name.

If you, for some reason, still don't get this, please refer to this chart created by a friendly anon.

ANIME DOWNLOAD SITES:

Nowadays, many anime download sites use torrents. Please familiarize yourself with both torrent files and a BitTorrent client (uTorrent 3.0) if you have not already. I won't go in-depth about how torrents work, etc, so please use Google.
utorrent A bit-torrent client. Download it if you haven't already. It's light-weight and extremely useful for downloading torrents.

Nyaa Torrents Multi-purpose site for RAWs, SUBs, DUBs, LNs, OSTs, software, etc. Torrent only.
BakaBT Similar to NyaaTorrents, except they only host high-quality, completed series, OSTs, etc. An account is required
Tokyo Tosho (also similar to Nyaa Torrents), well NyaaTorrents takes the torrent files from here, but the design of NT is better and easier to follow.
AnimeByt.es Similar to the other sites mentioned. You need to fill out an application where a mod will actually go over it and decide if you're worth being accepted into their community.
Anime Take (DDL+Torrents)

Anime Out (Small-encoded anime)
Anime Buzz (DDL+Torrents)
Minitheatre (Small-encoded anime)
Anime Senshi (DDL+Torrents)
AnimeA (DDL+Torrents)

*DDL means direct download link, if you didn't know.

Personal tip: I recommend using BakaBt, NyaaTorrents/TokyoTosho, and/or AnimeTake for your needs. The other stuff is pretty much filler or just not as good.

If your college blocks torrents, good luck with crappy DDLs
If you can't download torrents/hate DDLs, you can try XDCC. Though I haven't used it myself, it's another option. Please direct questions about XDCC to Davyn.

DOWNLOAD ANIME IN .mkv FORMAT. ANYTHING ELSE IS POINTLESS.

QUESTION: What is .mkv?
ANSWER: It's pretty much the main video format used for anime nowadays. .avi and .mp4 have become obsolete and pale in comparison with .mkv.

To have your computer read .mkv formats, you MUST download one of these:

CCCP: Combined Community Codec Pack for Windows users; comes with MPC: Media Player Classic and several decoders, formats, etc. This pack does literally everything for you. It is a godsend. Just open it with default settings and you're practically good-to-go.

MPlayer OSX Extended for Mac users.
MPC: Media Player Classic for Windows and Linux users. This is included in CCCP.
VLC Player for Mac, Ubuntu, Windows, and Fedora users.
MPlayer 2, also for Linux users.

CCCP has the best support for hi10p (hi10p is overrated, but whatever) and it's awesome. Everything else is inferior; only use the other links if your OS does not support CCCP. I will say this again: CCCP (MPC included) > all the other listed media players.

Protip 1: Don't waste bandwidth on crappy encoders who double/triple file sizes, unless you have no option.
Protip 2: FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is virtually useless if you don't have god-tier ears and/or an amazing audio system.

'Yo, yumtoast, where do I get my MANGA?

Same rules apply to manga. Downloading=higher quality, but I'll post some hosting sites just to take up space.

MANGA ONLINE (HOSTING):
Manga Reader
Manga Fox broken link due to Basil filters. Add the .com yourself.
Manga Here
Manga Stream

MANGA DOWNLOAD SITES:
Manga Traders
Manga Share
Download Manga

MANGA VIEWEING PROGRAMS:
Honey View for Windows and Linux (with wine) users.
Manga Viewer for Windows users.
Comix for Mac and Linux users.

Your best bet is to find the scanlators/provider for the series and download it off their blog/site.

IMAGES

The following are anime/manga-related image hosting sites.
WARNING: Danbooru and Gelbooru have 18+ ads. Make sure to go into their work-safe mode before searching/download adblock.

IMAGE SEARCH ENGINES
Danbooru
Gelbooru
Pixiv The site is in Japanese, but it's fairly straightforward.
Kona-chan Wallpapers
Neregate Daily HQ images; also releases seasonal anime charts.
Zerochan for more HQ images.

REVERSE IMAGE SEARCH ENGINES
IQDB
TinEye
Sauce Nao
Google's reverse image search (click on the camera on the search bar)

LNs, VNs, OSTs, ETC

TL Note: LN = light novel, VN = visual novel, OST = original sound track, etc = et cetera
Refer to the anime downloads section above and the following links.

SITES
Baka-tsuki A light novel translation site.
Hong Fire A site for downloading [translated+untranslated] visual novels, eroge, and other miscellaneous games/software. Edit: This site no longer has download links, sadly.
VNDB: Visual Novel Database Pretty much a database of all VNs ever made.
ASL: Anime-Sharing Lossless Site for downloading the newest .FLAC OSTs, etc.
Gendou for anime-related music.

I'm not going to bother doing a light novel recommendation section because most of them are fun reads in the first place.
I won't tell you how to get visual novel downloads since I don't keep track of English translation patches, so some of these following recommendations may not have English versions.

VISUAL NOVEL RECOMMENDATIONS: BABY'S FIRST VN:
Saya no Uta
Wanko to Kurasou
Starry Sky
Over the Rainbow
Tsukihime
Higurashi
Air
Fate/Stay Night
Shuffle!
Katawa Shoujo
Steins;Gate
Amagami
Clannad

VISUAL NOVEL RECOMMENDATIONS:
Little Busters!
Sengoku Rance
Symphonic Rain
ef ~ a fairy tale of the two
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Yosuga no Sora
Swan Song
Kira Kira
Baldr Sky
Baldr Force
Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai
Ever17
Muv-Luv
Sharin no Kuni
Himawari
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Mugen Kairou
Rewrite
Aiyoku no Eustia

GETTING PAST THE SAD PANDA AND PINING FJORDS

IMPORTANT IF YOU GET THE REFERENCE AND ARE LAUGHING RIGHT NOW AT THIS: DO NOT EXPLAIN WHAT THE SADPANDA IS TO OTHER USERS. I AM NOT GOING TO GO THROUGH A CRAPSTORM ABOUT THIS.

If you don't know what this means yet, that's okay! If you're moving along the path of the anime world, you will probably need to feed the sad panda one day. When the time comes, remember that you read this section and make use of this guide.

Before starting, make sure you are using Mozilla Firefox (not Nightly) or Google Chrome and download a cookie manager for it. Personally, I recommend Edit this Cookie for Chrome users or Cookies Manager Plus for Firefox users. If you are using Opera, you will be able to manage cookies as a default.

1) Log into your EH account.
2) Open a new tab for ExH (Ignore the sad panda).
3) Open the cookie manager add-on you have.
4) Open your EH cookies and look at the member ID: there should be a 6-digit number.
5) Open your ExH cookies and edit the ipb_member_id to match your EH ID.
6) Go back to your EH cookies and copy the ipb_pass_hash value to the clipboard.
7) Return to your ExH cookies and click "ADD COOKIE."
8) In the NAME field, type "ipb_pass_hash" and paste the value in from your clipboard.
9) Save, and close your cookie manager.
10) Refresh the ExH tab: you should have full access.
11) Never ask about the sad panda or pining the fjords again. I better not see you doing it.

BUYFRIEND 101

As I am a lazy ass-hat, this section will just be a bunch of links on where to spend your money on anime-related goods. You are welcome to add an introduction to this section, but it's fairly straightforward.
My favorite sites for buying anime goods are amiami and amazon.jp (see below).
QUESTION: Why is this section here, yumtoast?
ANSWER: If you are actually a big fan of anime, manga, etc, you will probably spend money on Japanese goods. Here are just sites to use so you can maximize your savings (because shipping from Japan costs a ton).

Where to Buy Your Merchandise
amiami (English)
amiami (Japanese)
Amazon JP
CDJapan
1999 Hobby
Tokyo Toys
Mandrake

ANIME/MANGA-RELATED RESOURCES

Note: Some of these links are in Japanese (will be noted). Yes, I realize that 98.5% of Basil isn't fluent in Japanese: those links are for referencing.

Japanese Sites

2chan For all you people who can read Japanese. A text board dedicated to all things animu, but threads are normally dedicated to crappy anime. It's well-kept and organized unlike its sister site.
2ch Not to be confused with 2chan, 2ch is a text board while 2chan is an image board (fyi, it's more popular than 2chan and of course, it's in Japanese)
NicoNico Japanese version; more videos and much more popular than its English version, if you know Japanese, that is.

English Sites

MaL: My Anime List Keep track of what you watch and whatnot.
MaL Updater Helps keep track of your MaL.
ANN: Anime News Network Reliable database.
AniDB is another helpful data base.
Manga Updates Keep track of anime, manga, doujin, etc
NicoNico English site for NicoNico. Pretty much YouTube for anime and manga. Too bad the English version is terrible.
Countdown to know when the next episode of _____ airs.
Fansub Wiki for those who watch subs and want to know who's subbing what.
Google This is your best friend. I don't think many people realize this yet, but there's a reason why Google is dominating the world at the moment.

FAQ: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I get PMs literally every day about anime-related help, so I figured I would try this section out. If you have a question, you can either PM me, or post in this thread with a quote directed towards me. I will read it and answer it in this section if someone has not already done so. Hopefully, this works out and I don't get the same mail over and over 4 times a week. Note that I am not a super wizard.

QUESTION: What if _____ has too many episodes to download?
ANSWER: If said anime has a lot of episodes, the older ones will probably be of less quality and take less memory. Of course for the other episodes, you will end up quite a bit of space to store those episodes. You definitely don't have to keep them after you watch it (I recommend that you don't compress your anime afterwards) and the cost of memory is fairly cheap nowadays, even after the flooding in Thailand. Buy 1-3TB external drives on sale and you'll be able to store anime for years to come. If you don't have the money (which is about $70-150 USD per 8-40 months or so), simply delete the anime. It's still much better than streaming.

QUESTION:
ANSWER:

Afterword, Credits

Credits+Thanks: yumtoast154, Davyn, malapo, ShiroNoYami, Rafflesia:

If you were someone who contributed to the recommendation section, thank you for the much appreciated help.

Thanks for reading!

Return to top
Replies
PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Nov 23 11
Windia Aran 4
got2glaree
+10000 for the good choices
New MapleStory Screen: Night of Sakura
Nov 23 11
Bera Hero
iRagingAsian
Woot, hopefully this means a redirection to this page instead of monster comment!
New MapleStory Screen: 5th anniversary mouse pad
Nov 23 11*
KradiaGMS Dragon Knight
ApricotFAIL
Hey how about converters from .avi to .mkv? Or is it just preferable to just redownload the .mkv file (unless of course, there IS no .mkv file available, perhaps due to the fact the anime is really old?)

zhoom777: Yea...
Nov 23 11*
Khaini Cleric
SuperEscargo
Wow, this is a very useful guide. Not even joking here. Nice work
EDIT: Oh wow, I lol'd at the Sad Panda section. You are awesome. I had no clue you would even include that.
LightingFrag Sorry, but it's something you might come across at some point or another. Until then, don't worry about it.
Nov 23 11*
Scania Beginner
HauntedRyou
This should be stickied.

...Speaking of which, Basil should have a stickied section.
Nov 23 11*
Broa Night Lord
XO347
Bummer, I won't get quoted in my Meebo bar every time you post this to look back at the threads. Oh well.
For a quick manga recommendation, Onani Master Kurosawa under Slice-of-Life.

For manga recommendations, I would say most of the things from these charts. I'm not a big reader, though, so I can't vouch for many myself.
For VN recommendations, I guess these.

I'll get to working on that XDCC part soon.

LEGENDairy: If it's an older series, good chances are it's not in .mkv. Just keep it .avi, as there'd be little difference for older series converting.
LightingFrag: Well, .flv and .mp4 formats don't have the same quality so if you find a file in either of those AND titled with 720p, then it's an upscale from 480 or 360. Not worth it. If you're intending for use on a mobile device (PSP, iPhone, etc.) then just get the 480 version, as you couldn't tell the difference.
Nov 23 11*
Bera Bandit
thefobkid
lul panda. Love that panda.

Why not include sakurahana and nihonomaru as well?
Nov 23 11*
Bera Blade Recruit
KatanaSaika
yumtoast154 Steins;Gate to Sci-fi and UN-GO in mystery in anime section please.
Nov 23 11*
Bera Luminous 4
EyriexD
lucky star is slice of slice, so is k-on
um...where's the ecchi section?
*edit* thought i'd give some names of my fav anime
Shinryaku! Ika Musume - Comedy, Shounen, Slapstick, Slice of Life
Ben-To - Action, Comedy, Ecchi, School Life
A Channel - Comedy, School Life, Seinen, Shoujo Ai, Slice of Life
Angel Beats! - Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Seinen, Tragedy
Cardfight! Vanguard - Action
Clannad - Comedy, Drama, Harem, Psychological, Romance, School Life, Seinen, Slapstick, Slice of Life
Kimi Ni Todoke - Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Slice of Life (it's also a great manga )
H2O ~Footprints In The Sand~ - Comedy, Drama, Harem, Psychological, Romance, School Life, Seinen, Slice of Life, Supernatural, Tragedy
Futakoi - Comedy, Drama, Harem, Psychological, Romance, School Life
Elfen Lied - Drama, Ecchi, Horror, Psychological, Romance, Science Fiction, Seinen, Tragedy
Mayo Chiki - Comedy, Ecchi, Harem, Romance, School Life, Slapstick
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika - Fantasy, Horror, Magic, Psychological, School Life, Seinen
Zero No Tsukaima - Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Magic, Romance, Seinen
i'll post more once i remember the names
New MapleStory Screen: Cannon shooter New MapleStory Video: This is Halloween
PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Register / login
You must be a member to reply or post. signup or login
MapleStory
MapleStory 2
Mobile Games
Art, Anime & Manga
L.o.L., Minecraft, Pokemon, +
Nexon