MapleStory guides, forums, screens, videos, auctions and new friends await! Signup or login
Replies

Beta Feature - earnings and losses log - Feb 23

MapleStory Forums : Site talk : Talk about BasilMarket

Feb 12 13
Broa Jett 4
mrbasil
Feb 23 Update:
each day shows a total earnings/loss indicator
click the date to hide a date

Greetings Basilers,

I'm testing out a new feature that allows you to track how many mesos you spend and earn. It's essentially a page where you can say you bought or sold an item, how much for and leave any additional details. If you do it over time you can get a good historical sense of how much you earn and lose and how prices fluctuate over time, what's selling well for you and not, etc. No more having to write all this stuff down in text files / notebooks.

Obviously your data will not be public, it is only for your reference.

Test it out and leave feedback below.

Simple usage instructions
Usage should be relatively self-explanatory, but here is some general info to get you started:
goto mesos page (currently not linked from anywhere else as this is beta
click the green 'add entry' button
type in the name of the item until the dropdown pops out to reveal your item, click it
type in the relevant details (ie, whether you bought or sold it, how much for, how many and any additional notes), click submit
you'll be taken back to your mesos page where you'll get a daily list of all the items you've bought and sold.
make a mistake or don't need the entry anymore? Look for the links to the right on the page with all your entries.

Some notes
The function is clearly very simple at the moment. The focus is on ease of use and being able to quickly add entries. I have some ideas on making it more useful (ie, tabulating earnings so you can see your earnings/losses in various time frames) but will use this beta phase to see how and if people use it. If you have specific ideas on what you'd like to see to make it useful for you, please share them below and it will be considered.

If this proves to be popular, I have an idea wherein we could have the data from select (ie, trustworthy) users that volunteer to have their data be public to create a live price list. The trick will be in weeding out people who put in fake data as well as those who are looking to raise prices for their own sales. The only work-around I can think of is to only accept data from certain users, which unfortunately limits things. Alternatively we could just list data anonymously and have a notice indicating that data could be wildly inaccurate. At the very least it should give a rough sense, which is what buyers/sellers are typically after. If you have ideas on how this could be safely implemented while respecting privacy and dealing with the aforementioned issues I'd love to hear it.

Enjoy

PS: Technically speaking the items you add don't even have to be yours. IE, if you're just looking for a place to log what others are selling in FM (to track prices over time or to make a note of someone selling an item you're after) this is a great way to do it.
MapleStory 2 Screen: MapleStory2 PVP MapleStory 2 Video: Maplestory2 classes Maple Story: Wow, really liking the sound of the #GMSv15 change...
POLL - Beta Feature - earnings and losses log - Feb 23
29% - Cool, I will definitely use this - - 105 / 362
59% - I'm not sure if I'll use this, I'll have to test it and see - - 215 / 362
11% - I won't use it because... - - 42 / 362
New thread Replies
PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Feb 12 13
Bera I/L Arch Mage
segumisama
That's really cool and all, but can we get some new mods to go with it?
MapleStory Screen: Segumisama and bokuwaomar's marriage
Feb 12 13
Bera Assassin
cOhermitOc
Does it auto-add items you have purchased or sold through auctions?
Feb 12 13
Broa Jett 4
mrbasil
segumisama: bear with me pls
hussah905: yes, if the trade is completed and both people leave feedback it'll be inserted automagically.
MapleStory 2 Screen: MapleStory2 PVP MapleStory 2 Video: Maplestory2 classes
Feb 12 13
Broa Dark Knight
xXSyKosisXx
I think this is an excellent idea, mrb. I'm usually very vocal concerning my criticisms, as you're well aware I'm sure. That said, I support this idea. It will cut down on the amount of P/C threads and give the community some valuable information, resulting in less people getting ripped off and a more informed public when buying and selling, knowing what a good deal is and knowing when someone's trying to screw them over.

Good job on changing the auction system back to what it was as well.

Again, an excellent idea. It's hard to get my approval on most changes, so I'm told, so yeah. Well done.
Feb 12 13*
Scania Evan 10th Growth
Goates
I do wish the maximum amount would be unlimited though. Sometimes I trade items worth at least 10B. Aside from that I really like the idea.
Nexon Screen: The Sky battle system sure is advanced MapleStory Video: Goat banter episode 2: legacy of 9, fix the bbs already
Feb 12 13
Bera I/L Arch Mage
segumisama
xXSyKoXx: I think this is an excellent idea, mrb. I'm usually very vocal concerning my criticisms, as you're well aware I'm sure. That said, I support this idea. It will cut down on the amount of P/C threads and give the community some valuable information, resulting in less people getting ripped off and a more informed public when buying and selling, knowing what a good deal is and knowing when someone's trying to screw them over.

Good job on changing the auction system back to what it was as well.

Again, an excellent idea. It's hard to get my approval on most changes, so I'm told, so yeah. Well done.

"I think this is an excellent idea, mrb. " Wow. You don't hear THAT very often coming from syko. Must be a good idea then, eh?

and you know I love you, mrb. but we really do need more moderation. ~_~
MapleStory Screen: Segumisama and bokuwaomar's marriage
Feb 12 13
Broa Jett 4
mrbasil
xxsykoxx: hey Sy, tyvm for the feedback. I hope you find it to be useful.
skyenets: I will test it out on this and bids/auctions. However, my concern is that people put in ridiculous amounts. Though I suppose they can do that now on auctions too, but if we were to use this new mesos feature and make it public in some way I know it would become an issue as people would inevitably troll. That forces us to come up with workarounds (ie, my 'trusted auctioner' idea in the TS). There are probably a fair number of people who go above 4b that it's worth implementing, so I'll do that now.
MapleStory 2 Screen: MapleStory2 PVP MapleStory 2 Video: Maplestory2 classes
Feb 12 13
Scania Phantom 4
GilIete
Great idea for dedicated merchants, easy way to track on what you did profited the most and stuffs. I love it and will surely be using this often, Stocktaking feature
MapleStory Screen: Lv.200 phantom party MapleStory Video: CWKPQ as a Pirate
Feb 12 13
Broa Jett 4
mrbasil
envenomed: yeah I agree. I'm about the noobiest merchant but even I'm finding it useful as a way to keep track of what's selling and for how much.

Technically speaking the items you add don't even have to be yours. IE, if you're just looking for a place to log what others are selling in FM this is a great way to do it.
MapleStory 2 Screen: MapleStory2 PVP MapleStory 2 Video: Maplestory2 classes Maple Story: Wow, really liking the sound of the #GMSv15 change...
PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Register / login
You must be a member to reply or post. signup or login