General

Chat

Help with Ap Chem hw please?

Hey guys!

To those who took AP chem, please help me?

I can't figure out this question..(I can't remember if it's at STP though.. but I am positive it is not... lol @STP and not at STP problem would help!)

Here is the question.

Find the procedure/Show how you would solve it

L(liters) of NaOh TO Molarity of H2SO4

Balanced Equation

H2SO4 + NaOH ===>H2O + NaSO4

EDIT: Wopps I think I got the BE wrong. it's H2SO4 +NaOH ===> H2O +NaSO3 o-o-o-o-o-o-o (Last time I had regular chemistry was a year ago.......)

Thank you!

September 3, 2013

8 Comments • Newest first

LiliKoby

Haha i took chem AP as a sophmore and good luck! remember depending on how the equation is balanced, the ratio of NaOH : H2SO4 (base:acid) can change

Reply September 3, 2013 - edited
askmynames

[quote=LiliKoby].05 molar is the molarity. err basically NaOH reacts with H2SO4 at a 1:1 ratio. In other words, for every mole of NaOH you have, you need one mole of H2SO4 to react with it completely. The thing with salts such as NaOH is that it dissolves (dissociates is the more scientific word) almost infinitely in water, thus you do not measure NaOH by just "Liters" but rather "Liters of Solution" in which there is a certain amount of moles of NaOH in a certain volume of water (basically molarity). From this, you know that the total moles of NaOH must equal the number of moles of H2SO4, and so moles of H2SO4/Volume of H2SO4 solution = molarity of H2SO4[/quote]

AHHHHHHHH Thanks! I have to figure this out because we will have a lab tomorrow.. and I must know what to do... Just like the procedure you showed me. And did I balance the equation right?

And this is our lab.

Purpose: To determine the concetration of the battery acid to 3 sig figs with a relative standard abr(idk i forgot) to less than 5%.

SIGH. When I was a sophomore, everything was so easy... now, I can't remember what I did and omg. im dying right now @_@ Ive been studying hardcore... lol

LiliKoby

.05 molar is the molarity. err basically NaOH reacts with H2SO4 at a 1:1 ratio. In other words, for every mole of NaOH you have, you need one mole of H2SO4 to react with it completely. The thing with salts such as NaOH is that it dissolves (dissociates is the more scientific word) almost infinitely in water, thus you do not measure NaOH by just "Liters" but rather "Liters of Solution" in which there is a certain amount of moles of NaOH in a certain volume of water (basically molarity). From this, you know that the total moles of NaOH must equal the number of moles of H2SO4, and so moles of H2SO4/Volume of H2SO4 solution = molarity of H2SO4

crazypoorer

[quote=askmynames]What is molar? That is confusing me. Im thinking molarity but I know it isn't..

And can you describe that again with no numbers? The numbers are giving me a headache or an intense brain confusion! LOL[/quote]

Molar is just a shortcut for saying Molarity

askmynames

[quote=LiliKoby]okay well your not going to find a problem with actual liters of NaOH. The thing with that is that NaOH is infinitely disolvable in water. However, the equation constitutes that H2SO4 should react in a 1:1 ratio with the moles of NaOH. For example, if you have1 liter .1 molar NaOH solution (.1 mol per liter) you would need .1 moles of H2SO4 to react completely with it, as I'm sure you know. if this problem is only conceptual what i said is basically it. For example if you have 5 liters of .1 molar NaOH and an unlimited amount of .05 molar H2SO4, you would need 10 liters of H2SO4 for it to react completely. or in your case since you are solving for molarity, you know you have .5 moles of H2SO4 (since .1m/L * 5L = .5mol) and you just divide moles by liters of solution. Hope this helps.[/quote]

What is molar? That is confusing me. Im thinking molarity but I know it isn't..

And can you describe that again with no numbers? The numbers are giving me a headache or an intense brain confusion! LOL

LiliKoby

okay well your not going to find a problem with actual liters of NaOH. The thing with that is that NaOH is infinitely disolvable in water. However, the equation constitutes that H2SO4 should react in a 1:1 ratio with the moles of NaOH. For example, if you have1 liter .1 molar NaOH solution (.1 mol per liter) you would need .1 moles of H2SO4 to react completely with it, as I'm sure you know. if this problem is only conceptual what i said is basically it. For example if you have 5 liters of .1 molar NaOH and an unlimited amount of .05 molar H2SO4, you would need 10 liters of H2SO4 for it to react completely. or in your case since you are solving for molarity, you know you have .5 moles of H2SO4 (since .1m/L * 5L = .5mol) and you just divide moles by liters of solution. Hope this helps.

askmynames

[quote=LiliKoby]reserving spot
I would need to know the concentration of NAOH first[/quote]

That's my point too! I was not given any Liters of NaOH. I think I'm just supposed to show how I would solve it to get to Molarity... If you can't do it.. then I guess making it up would be okay. 5L of NaOH? haha

LiliKoby

reserving spot
I would need to know the concentration of NAOH first
can you elaborate the complete problem with all the numbers? or is that it?